Lifting up Design

May 22, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Hi,

as i played with the slideshow i wonder if it is all free?!

I would like to skip the vertikal logo and give the background round cornes perhaps with a soft border, as all the button have round corners..

Or a gradient backgound..

But i don't know exactly if this is possible at the moment.

I am just starting with silverlight - so are these informations changeable or is this fixed (in dll or so)

Would be nice to start a discussion in order to start a try ;-)

Thanks for all answers,

Torsten

May 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Glad you asked. I am sure this might be question in so many people's mind. There are some people who are selling this same code over internet..sigh.

May 22, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Ok..trying to understand..

Vertigo has build this version2 and it is here published for free. So the logo for example is a fixed element as it comes from vertigo.

Does Vertigo themself offer a "selling" version from this?

Has anybody ever tried to modify the layout?

Perhaps someone has contact to vertigo ;-)

Developer
May 28, 2009 at 10:52 AM

This is definitely a question for Vertigo.  It ultimately comes down to the license under which the source code was released.  In this case, it is the "Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL)".  The license clearly states:

"If you distribute any portion of the software, you must retain all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices that are present in the software."

So it seems as if you can't just blindly remove it.  That said it's a little unfair for Vertigo to have the only attribution (hidden as it may be), as I am a contributer and I am in no way affiliated with Vertigo.  In my opinion, this is a problem with the open source model provided by codeplex.  I don't think anyone at Vertigo has ever commented on this issue, but if SlideShow2 is to ever be a serious open source project, I suspect the attribution would have to change to accomodate other contributors?

Vertigo?

Developer
Jul 13, 2009 at 6:38 AM

See this new issue for a possible solution.  We'll probably need to get Vertigo approval before implementing this though...

http://slideshow2.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=3507