This project is read-only.

Long descriptions? Persistence?

May 11, 2009 at 1:41 PM
Edited May 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I have a natural aversion to brevity and find that my descriptions frequently are truncated in the SlideDescription area.

I also notice that this region refuses to line-wrap.

I've tried adding <br />'s and vbCrLf's and even &#xD;'s, and nothing seems to want to allow the CRLF, nor to allow the description pane to change size vertically to accomodate long descriptons.

I guess I could write shorter descriptions, or add a URL ref that opens the image in a new page with a long description, or something...but it'd be cool if I didn't have to do that.

Any ideas?

ETA:

Wow...this is kind of frustrating.  I finally got this thing working...but now it seems like Silverlight has decided that no change I make to my data file is worth parsing.  I've even gone so far as to entirely delete and replace all the files on the site, intentionaly loading the 404's in between, clearing my browser caches, etc. etc., and I'm still getting data, albums, and even images that don't even exist on my server anymore.  Anyone know how to completely purge this stuff, and if it's server-side or client-side?  Happens in IE and Firefox both.

May 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Hi,

in the file Generic.xaml search for <Grid x:Name="RootElement" (the parent of the title/desciption). The following lines contains the row definitions. Change the second line from <RowDefinition Height="30" /> to <RowDefinition Height="60" />.

In file SlideDescription.cs in the constructor change the line "Height = 60;" to "Height = 90;"

In the same file search for every occurance of "TrimText(Description, DescriptionElement);" and replace it with

DescriptionElement.TextWrapping = TextWrapping.Wrap;
DescriptionElement.Text = Description;

Olaf 

I cannot reproduce your caching issue: new instance of IE = new data (images and slides) showing.

May 12, 2009 at 9:46 AM
Edited May 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Thank you, Olaf.  I think the caching issue may have been just an anomaly because I was trying to run a billion things at once, including multiple instances of the slideshow in multiple browsers.

A few minutes' independent research gave me the clue I needed re: 'compiling/decompiling' the XAP, so that with your information is everything I needed to know!  Many thanks!

EDIT:  Perhaps I spoke too soon...this source code project doesn't seem to want to open in VWDX - does this mean that a) I have to use "real" Visual Studio to edit it or b) I have to track down and install the "Silverlight Tools" to edit it (which will likely mean a shift for me from VWDX to the full Web Platform)?

May 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Hi,

on http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/ the say that the SL Tools can be installed with VWDX SP1.

Olaf

May 13, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Olaf, thank you AGAIN.  I should have caught that.  The price I pay for trying to shove months of work into days, I guess.

The persistence issue seems to be related to my browsers not wanting to dump their cached data.xml file.  I've found that I can force it in a couple of different ways when it stops cooperating.

I'm pretty certain that I can do what needs doing with these tools.  I'm preparing to move cross-country in a few days, but hopefully when I get settled in out west I'll be able to take a good look at this, and a couple of other mods that have been suggested here, and maybe combine them with what some other folks have already done and make my own little contribution to things available for people to download and use.

Thanks again, very much.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:15 AM

BTW, getting back to the long description issue....

One additional change you will want to make in the Generic.xaml file is to find the Show and Hide Transitions and change the SplineDoubleKeyFrame Value for -60 to -90.  (This is on lines 97 and 117 of the original Generic.xaml file, assuming you haven't modified it.)

If you don't change this setting as well, the descriptions will show but the title and description box doesn't fully hide any more like it is supposed to.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM

This is addressed in change set #25959. You can now configure, via configuration options, the size of the title and description in the slide description. You can expand the side of the slide description in increments of 30 (the height of one line) to handle long descriptions or titles, for example. The description or title will automatically be wrapped and truncated as appropriate to use the available space. See the updated XMLConfiguration sample to see an example.

http://slideshow2.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/25959