XMLConfigurationProvider issues...

May 11, 2009 at 1:23 AM
Edited May 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Hey folks.  Please forgive my noobitude:  I'm out of my element.

Thanks for a great little tool, I love the new version.

BUT ;-)

I can NOT seem to make it work with an XML configuration.

To forestall the questions that seem obvious from what I've already read here.:

Yes my pathing is correct. 

Yes I have tried rockinthesix's modified XAP file. 

Yes, the application works fine if I use a built-in theme. 

As with others who have similar issues, I'm trying to implement the Configuration.xml file given in the help document here.

Unfortunately, a) I'm not good enough with c# to track down the object model/reference library by reading the source code, and b) I'm using VWD08Express, so I don't -think- I can edit and recompile the xap on my own (I'm a web designer with a strong ASP classic/VBscript background - this leaves me more or less useless in ASP.Net, especially when C# and compiling projects into library files is involved.)

I double-checked the sample config file, and there doesn't appear to be a single attribute overlooked, at least not as matched against the schema given in the configuration instructions.

http://www.lowgenius.com/Portals/0/slideshow/web_port/Default.html with XML configuration doesn't work

http://www.lowgenius.com/Portals/0/slideshow/web_port/Default2.html with theme configuration does.

My Configuration.xml and data.xml files are in the same path (which is also the same path as the html files above); there should be no issue there.  I've checked, re-checked, and doublechecked things like spelling and punctuation.  The XAP file currently in use is rockinthesix's mod; it doesn't seem to have any impact on the functionality of the theme-based page, so I thought I'd leave that enabled for the time being in case the necessary fix would involve me using that file.

Help? :~(  It may be that I've just been staring at it too long and am missing something obvious...but obvious nor not, I'm missing something.

Hopefully once I manage to get past this problem, I'll be able to work out on my own how to do things like eliminate the disappearing/fading navigation and caption buttons.  It looks like a couple of features from the SS1 have had to be patched back in to the release candidate), add my own styling, etc., but until I get the thing working, I can't break it again to see how it works ;-)

Any assistance, insight, or application of large cluehammers to the back of my thick skull will be appreciated.

ETA:  rockinthesix, if you happen to catch this, the config file you linked to in the "Customizing with XML and a couple other issues" thread is currently 404 compliant; obviously that means I couldn't try to implement that. 

The whole thing makes me wonder if there's some kind of syntax error in the sample configuration file...

May 11, 2009 at 11:28 AM
Edited May 11, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Followup:  The one combination of things I hadn't tried was using rickinthesox's XAP file with a stripped-down config file.  This...seems to have worked so far at least, so I'm forced to conclude there's something in the sample config file that's causing the break. 

Further followup:  Things seem to be working now, after building the configuration file back up element-by-element.