Using the Slide Show with a dll and not the Xap File

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:16 PM
Hi, first all that a really nice work !
This slide show is great. Everthing is working fine when using it as a xap file in a HTML page with a silverlight object.
I'm trying to use the slide show directly with the dll in another silverlight project. I'm really scatching my head to have this worked and tried to use the source file to get some inspiration.
Basically, I'm trying to replicate what your doing in the App.xaml and setting correctly the ConfigurationProvider by providing my custom initParam as a Dictionary<string, Dictionary<string, string>>. 
I'm running into several problem : 
1 - You're doing everything when the  application start (reading the param from HTML and setting it to the ConfProvider before the rootVisual is set) and my application load pages at demand
2 - In silverlight3, using the NavigationFramework, it seems there is an overlap with the frame and the navigation tray (when it hides, you can still see it visible outside the frame)
3 - Do you have a simple way to initialize the SlideShow, like mySlideShow.Source = "xxxxx", mySlideShow.Configuration = "lightTheme", mySlideShow.DataProvider = "XMLReader".....

Thanks
Regards

Great Job !
Apr 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Has anyone tried to integrate this component directly in silverlight application rather than using a silverlight control in a Asp page with the Xap file ?

just want the right methodology to that (how to instanciate correctly the slide show in Xaml and an easy pattern/direction throught the configuration)

Thanks
Nov 8, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Hi,

Have you already succeeded to do this ? Please can you help me how we have to do it ?

Regards,

Nov 29, 2009 at 2:28 AM
Edited Nov 29, 2009 at 3:14 AM

I am trying to do this right now. However, I am finding that there are massive dependencies on this being run as a standalone Silverlight application. For example, many classes throughout the code are dotted with assumptions about the Page class that hosts the controls being the Silverlight RootVisual. This has to be tracked down and removed. Also, the initialization of all the subcontrols in the Page class is currently tied to the application lifecycle. I am going to try to fix all of this. If I get it working, I will see what I can do about uploading the code.

Edit: I'm giving up on this for now. There are simply too many dependencies on a single instance. All the configuration information is statically stored and accessed from throughout the code, making it difficult to untangle. Silverlight 4 Beta 1 is out and one of the new features is the WebBrowser control, which will allow you to host HTML inside a Silverlight app. This should allow you to run another Silverlight app inside a Silverlight app (fingers crossed), which may be easier than untangling this mess. I may give it another shot some other time if I am feeling ambitious.

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Hi, thanks a lot.

Wim

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Hi, all. I am also need embeded directly yo XAML slide show control. So enything progress?

As a hack I am using http://www.divelements.co.uk/silverlight/tools.aspx to host another silverlight application but there is some problems with the scrolling in browser and resizing browser widow and slide show control.

So any  source code incside dll will be appresiated!