This project is read-only.

Long delay on Initial Loading of SlideShow2

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:53 AM
I have created 4 albums and it is taking at least 30 seconds before it starts displaying pictures from my 1st album.  I have the following:

Album 1 - 17 pics
Album 2 - 40 pics
Album 3 - 22 pics
Album 4 - 7 pics

I am also using thumbnails that are 150x112 to help but it doesn't seem to.  Any ideas on why it is so slow?  I want to add alot more pictures and albums but I'm afraid that it will slow down the page even more.  It seemed pretty fast loading when I only had 1 album.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Greg
Apr 14, 2009 at 7:09 AM

Hi,

can you provide a link to your SlideShow-page? Can you confirm that you are using small thumbs for the albums, too?

<album title="x" description="y" source="thumb.jpg">

Olaf

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Hi Greg,

i have looked at your page and there are some things you can try:

- by design all album pictures are loaded at startup. But only the three "kids-*" albums have a "tn_*.pic" as source, so there is a delay loading one large image for each album.

- the images are 1024*768, but the SlideShow on the html page is only 750*550. So you can save bandwidth using smaller images. You can also try to use a higher jpeg-compression to save some kB. My Images are not bigger than 100 kB.

Olaf

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM
Edited Apr 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM
Thanks Olaf.

I have them at 1024x768 so that they look decent at full screen view.  I might try 800x600 to see what they look like.

Also, how would I use a higher jpg compression but keep the same resolution or is that possible?  What software could I use?  Right now, I am just using Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

Thanks,
Greg

Edit:  Also, I've noticed that sometimes the viewer just quits when viewing pictures.  I refresh the page and it starts back up.  Do you know what might be causing this?  I can start a separate thread if necessary.
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM
OK.  I updated the pictures of the first album to use higher compression and now my images are 100KB and sometimes less for all of them.  I am still experiencing some delay.  Is it trying to load all of the pictures for all of the albums or just the ones I am viewing?  Also, if I view the album full screen and start clicking on the pictures in order to advance to the next pic, the control stops working, as welll as the menu links on that page.  The only way to get it working again is to go to another site and come back or in some cases, completely shut down IE.  Firefox does the same thing.

Any suggestions?
Apr 15, 2009 at 8:26 AM
Hi,

5 images are preloaded - search in the code for "PreloadAhead". You can try to change that.

I cannot reproduce the fullscreen issue with IE7.

Olaf
Apr 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM
I have changed the preload from 5 to 15 and seems to work a little bit better as well as the small jpg files.  I noticed the issue with Firefox and not IE7 this time.  It may be because I have only optimized the pics for the first album and not all of them.  I will update all of the jpgs with higher compression and see how that works and will post back.

Thanks for the help.

Greg
Apr 16, 2009 at 3:08 AM
I've updated all of the pics with a higher compression and it is much better than when I initially started.  However, there seems to be an issue with Firefox and the viewer.  The viewer stops working after a few images, whether automatically advancing or clicking on the picture to advance to the next one.  Are there any issues with Firefox that you know of?

Thanks,
Greg
Apr 16, 2009 at 9:13 AM
Hi,

yes, there is something wrong with Silverlight and Firefox. The control stops working after two or three images - white screen. But I don't have Firefox on my development machine so I cannot review that now.

Olaf
Jul 13, 2009 at 3:26 AM

FYI, the PreloadAhead option is only for the actual images, and does not affect the thumbnails.  When an album is opened, ALL of the thumbnails for that album are loaded.  For large albums, or those that don't use small thumbnail images, this can result in a delay in opening the album.  See this issue:

http://slideshow2.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=3500