Streaming video

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:30 PM
Hello,

I have a few fairly large videos I'd like to play via Slide.Show 2.  Is there a way to stream the video? So far it looks like I have to have the video files in the project which of course when it's on my server it's going to take forever to get to the users browser.

thanks,
-Trish
Nov 17, 2008 at 7:59 AM
Hi Trish,

no, you don't have to put the videos in the project - only the link to the file in the data.xml. The video is shown right after a few seconds as soon as the MediaElement starts its"download" (10 MB file size). I also verified this in TaskManager on the Network tab: the data transfer is continuous while the video is playing.

But you may also try the streaming mms:// protocoll (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc189080(VS.95).aspx#anchor_mediaformats_streaming ) - but I could see no difference to http, maybe there must be a Windows Media Server (I didn't checked this out).

Olaf
Dec 30, 2008 at 4:30 AM
Hi;

I'm looking at using the streaming mms protocol; and have configured a server with streaming services. I have tested streamed content using MS Media Player and it works fine. I'm wondering ; and have tried to place a url as the source in the data config xml file, but slide.show.2 does not locate it.

I'm I missing something?

Peter
Jan 27, 2009 at 2:26 PM
Hi Trish,

Have you had any luck here?

I have a few "small" video's (2Mb - 8Mb) that I'm wanting to display in a Slide.Show... the Slide.Show doesn't start until the ENTIRE video has been downloaded from the server to the client... if I have more than one video, then Slide.Show doesn't move from the one video to the next one, until the ENTIRE next video has been downloaded...

There has to be a better way than this, surely...

Gayo
Jan 27, 2009 at 2:30 PM
Hi Gayo,

I haven't really explored this yet.  Had to take a little break and work on other stuff. I am planning to revisit it in a week or so.  I will certainly post when I find information. I think this is an important feature to stream from Windows Media Server.

-Trish
May 25, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Hi Trish,

Is there any news on this yet?

I'm still needing to stream the videos in Slide.Show.2 directly from my Win 2003 server...

I've seen many "other" Silverlight video players, and they all stream beautifully...

Thanks

Gayo

Developer
May 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM

As I understand it, this is a fundamental design flaw in the slideshow2 architecture.  Each slide is buffered before it is displayed.  It's a fairly large undertaking to change this, at this point.

Developer
Jun 20, 2009 at 2:20 AM
Edited Jun 20, 2009 at 2:22 AM

Have you looked at the Video.Show application on codeplex (also originally from Vertigo)?  I use a customized version of it with Microsoft's free silverlight streaming service (http://silverlight.live.com) on my personal web site.  I've got a couple hundred relatively small (2.5 - 100 MB each) videos and it works pretty well.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:35 AM

Thanks... I haven't had a look at Video.Show and it wouldn't work for me as my videos are all sitting in my DB... (and that's where they "need" to be...)