I'm I missing something? Why no facebook photos option?

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:58 AM
Edited Jul 9, 2010 at 4:58 AM
Is this a stupid question? I searched but found no one that asked for a facebook photo album as dataprovider? Any ideas? Would you please provide the code?
Jul 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I think you could do this OK.  Just list the location source of the img from Facebook (or any other source) for your data file.

To get the img source location, first find the largest size img within FB.  If you are looking at a gallery of small thumbnails click the img to make it larger. Then right-click the img and select 'properties'.  The location of the img looks like a web address.  If you want to use thumbnail previews then also get the img location of the small thumbnail img in the gallery.

Here are some examples of FB img locations...

The thumbnail and image are for the same picture and this is what you want to list as your ims source.  Notice how most of the img name is similar.  This may help understanding their naming conventions for thumbs and larger imgs.  It likely follows a pattern but will vary depending on which img farm your imgs are stored so this will likely vary from gallery to gallery.

Be aware some sites dynamically change (or periodically rotate) the img source location to discourage external linking.  I do not think Facebook does this but be aware it generally prefers to keep content within its walled garden.  Remember you are not FB's customer you are their commodity.

At the bottom of this gallery is a link with this caption: "Share this photo with anyone by sending them this public link... ".  The link is the same as the one for the img above.  If they are doing this then I think they would be less likely to change img sources on you.

This share option may only apply to shared galleries.  If you change the share option of the gallery or certain privacy settings that affect your galleries then the img sources may change which would affect your external gallery.

I believe the SlideShow developers include a gallery example linked to Flickr.  Check it out for coding examples and change them to point to FB.